Saturday, May 05, 2007

A soccer lesson today



Today we took part in yet another tournament organised by the Roteract Club for charity. This is our 4th tournaments so far. They organise once every sem n this is probably the toughest nut to crack. Today was really a memorable day n definitely left the biggest impact in me.

We sent in 2 teams kacc n nsl like the last time. N I was quite surprised to be drafted into kacc as the keeper. I felt I have still a lot to learn n when I knew abt it, I really felt the pressure coz I dun want to let the team down. We were in the same grp as Arvinder Singh the rat n my worst fear came true. He scored against me but thnz god, he was also the one tt made a mistake ltr, causing em a goal. Luckily, we went thru 1-1.

Every gm we fought damn hard, the opponents were pretty gd. We progressed into the quater final when I made yet another stupid mistake n conceded a goal. Tt gm turn on the passion in everyone n the sheer display of our fighting spirit was simply mad. Nsl was cheering us frm the side, arms-in-arms, shouting their voice hoarse. On the pitch, we were attacking waves aft waves, bringing the gm to our opponent. So many chances n I knew a come back is more than just a possibility. But this is part n parcel of soccer, it wasn't our time yet n we were out.

I really want to thank the team for entrusting me wth this hugh responsibility. I was extremely upset n pissed wth myself for conceding tt 2 stupid goals n I felt really sry. I can nv put the blame on the defence but only myself. Coz we can't afford to concede goal every times the defence make a mistake n I am the 1 to ensure tt. Every possible save I didn't made is my fault n today those 2 were.

Sadly I have to discover my own weaknesses in the most painful way. 2 times I misjudged the ball for going out, it went past me on the left into goal. The last 1 I didn't even knew it actually went in. Now I will go for every 50-50 ball, for I knew I cannot trust my judgement on the blind spot side. At least until when I am more experienced...

I hope the team will be more patient wth me n give me more time. I know I am still nt there yet but I will definitely improve myself. I believe I have the ability n I need to think hard now n be serious. Frm now onward, I will take it seriously when I play as keeper for I dun want to learn another painful lesson during tournaments.

I have a dream. A dream tt one day kacc will hold up our 1st trophy proudly. This dream is nt far now. We have won the Sci' Open (FA Cup) n now we r going for bigger win (League Champion) haha. I think we just need to sort out a few things n we r ready to take on any challenge. We have 3 more yrs as students to win tt, this yr will be more abt learning n gaining xp for me. Nxt wk we will be going to complete the previous tournament postphoned coz of rain. We r already in the round of 16 n hopefully, the fighting spirit of kacc will be rewarded.

Come on, Kacc!

No comments: