Sunday, April 15, 2007

Religion

Many times I ask a person what his/her religion is, n the ans I get is btw uncertaininty n free-thinker. I felt tt this is somehow nt correct though I couldn't find a gd reason for it. It was only not long ago tt I finally understand the meaning of religion. I myself is a Buddhist, following in the footstep of my parents. There was a time when I was uncertain too, feeling tt I do not believe in it n I dun need it.

Sad to say, buddhism among all the religions is diminishing fast. I was thinking if it will cease to exist in the many generations to come. The malays follow their religion muslim closely, so does the catholic n christian. But why do so many children of buddhist parents declare tt they r free thinkers nowadays? An ever-increasing trend, extremely prominent in the Singapore society.

Yeeee... Buddhism so chi-na, so old school, so nt cool 1. Now modern time already leh, still go temple pray will feel paiseh 1 lor. Who believe really got chinese gods up there, talk cock sia. N all the chinese beliefs so superstitious. Ppl will laugh 1 lor, like nv go thru education b4 still believe such rubbish. No monk plz!

Have all these thoughts pop up in ur mind b4? I bet if u r a free thinker, u prob did. U nv say it out, coz u know it is a sensitive issue. But still, u r guilty of it...

All the major religions teach their followers to be gd ppl. There is a thing tt we r nt born wth, difficult to acquire thru education n life, tt is moral values. Coz moral values do nt have an exact definition, prob what we know is doing good deeds. But again, how do u define gd deeds?

So, in all religions, their 'gods' r perfect examples to their followers. The things they do, their words n actions r all symbols of good n correct ways. Whether it is obvious or nt, parents pass on this protrait of moral values frm their religion to their children. N this is how human society has functioned for ages, defining our ways of life - things we know we shld nt do n things tt we shld.

Ok, if u dun gt it. Then let me hit u wth a direct example. If u have watched the movie blood diamond, y do these ppl kill innocent like nobody business. Prob if u tell em tt this is immoral, they will nt understand n kill u too. So this has been their way of life, just like those Indonesian cannibals n their religion. Y can we straight away tell tt their actions r wrong, but to em, moral values is a mystery. Even killing so many ppl will nt draw the least bit of guilt in em.

Again, religion plays a huge role... Gd religions instill moral values in us w/o us even knowing. To us, it may seem moral values r born into us since birth. Like giving up our seats to elderly in the MRT. But in actual fact, our ancester learnt it frm their religion, we learnt it frm our parents, so do our kids frm us. Yes, religion teaches u to be a gd person, whether or nt in conflict wth ur own personal conscience. Tt y some ppl still do bad things knowing tt is wrong.

If u ask me, I certainly dun believe tt there is any god up there. Wat I believe in is the teaching of my religion, which my parents n ppl ard me have passed to me since birth. Sad to say, many buddhists do nt understand this, they thought buddhism is abt praying to strike toto n 4D. Tt prob the reason y so many youngsters r losing their faith in it. So wat say u?

I will be posting a 2nd part abt religion. I haven't talk abt religion as a form of consolation which I have went thru myself.

No comments: