Sunday, May 13, 2007

Top of the World

Being at the top of the world, in whatever you do, be it career, wealth, fame, relationship n so on, is the dream of many ppl. Our entire life fighting n working so hard for it. That peak of success, most will nv even come close, but for those few who did, what will the feeling be like? Have you ever ponder over this b4? Honestly, for me, it was only today that this chain of thoughts struck me. N it was frm a simple n uneventful thing like playing gm.

I like to play gms that build up frm virtually nothing, go through lotsa problems n difficulties, to become the ultimate undisputable winner. For the last few days, I was playing this game 'Sid Meier's Pirates', starting as a nobody, n working to be rich n powerful by almost earning penny 1 at a time. It was a rather frustrating process, but when i finally hit that peak, I dun feel like continuing anymore. Simply no point? Or satisfaction has reached saturation, no more thrill? This happens times n again, when I played other gms like FM (Football Manager).

It suddenly occurs on me if life is the same concept. Where sportsmen retire at their peak. Where businessmen pass on the baton upon obscene figures. Where singers n actors 'disappear' aft hittting the highest stage. There r many frictional stories on ppl who become so gd in wat they do (World num 1) - couldn't find anymore challenges or challengers, thus living a lonely n regretful life frm then on. How true can this be? I always feel it is bullshyt but tt surge of feeling in me when I reached tt level in my gms was for real. It was over-whelming. I cant't help it but quit.

I have no personnal opinion on this, what I have said was simply my exp which I felt might be similar to life. If a team is to win every gm 1 day, where would the fighting spirit n unity come frm? If the world is to become a perfect place 1 day, were there still any heart-touching moments of humanity? I realised that our entire life working for tt smthing, tt smthing isn't tt impt actually. The most important n meaningful thing is the process. As Beckham once said, "u will go thru tough times, it abt coming thru em."

No comments: